Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Kinetics Climbing

It has been one month into my new job, i am now working in Kinetics Climbing as programmes manager. This is my first full time job and i really do hope i can do a good job out of it. It hasnt been easy because i still have tons to learn. Work life is indeed very different from a student's life. As a full timer, it also means i have a lot of responsibilities. This is probably up one notch from organising Boulderactive 2011. 

SEACF 2011- Represented Singapore in the South East Asia circuit- malaysia. This is a series of competitions organised by the countries taking part in this year's SEA games 2011 in Indonesia. For the first time, Climbing has been included in the SEA Games and Singapore will be sending a team of climbers up to do Singapore proud. 

This particular comp really opened me up to the world of international competitions, i remember my first international comp was at the Asian Indoor Games, where i represented Singapore in Speed Climbing. A lack of training facilities proved not to help in the event because we had only been training on the speed wall up to the height of 6m? Whereas the actual event saw the wall being 15m in height. I realised i shouldnt focus on Speed because it really required alot of time to train which i didnt have. Almost every climber out there did climbing full time, while we singaporeans do it part time because we all have our other committments, be it in studies or full time jobs. 

I didnt do very well, i kind of expected it, because i hadnt been training. I had been working from opening to closing for the past one month, managed to squeeze in 1-2 climbing sessions, but because i am still very new to lead climbing, it wasnt enough, i knew i had to climb outside ALOT MORE. I got pumped out really fast and didnt even have the chance to shake it out and resume my climbing, i literally climbed my way up to failure. I still love lead climbing more than bouldering and i really hope to get better at it and be challenged each time i start climbing. 


I realised there is no point complaining because i should be thankful that i am working in a climbing gym with a wall facing me everyday. Although i cannot be climbing everyday, i have to make the most of whatever free time i can squeeze out from work. I had past the stage of complaining because there is simply no point in it.

But i am still looking forward to being more settled down in my job and being able to find time to climb hard again, and hopefully by nxt year, to the GREAT OUTDOORS!!! I still very much want to visit Fontainbleau...

No comments: