Sunday, October 3, 2010

Lost in Transit: Sri Lanka and Dubai




I wanted to buy food but found that the airport only accepted US dollars or Rupees. “Good job fel”. I had failed to check what currency was available in this airport. They did not even buy Singapore dollars, so there I was, 8 hours without food or money. Thankfully, there was a water dispenser, and I still had some raisins I brought from Singapore. And so I sat on Bandarahaire’s Airport departure “lounge”, which consisted of hard plastic chairs and tried to snooze abit. But got worried about my baggage. At that point, I totally disliked traveling alone. Even making a trip to the washroom meant I had to carry all my bags around.

Finally got onto the plane to DUBAI!!!!!!the minute the air stewardesses served snacks, I grabbed it and opened it almost immediately and chowed down the whole packet in less than a min. it felt good to have food going into my mouth.haha



Dubai

Arrived at Dubai International Airport. Was welcomed with a beautiful airport, with Rolex clocks all around!haha. departure and arrival display screens were aplenty, as many as you would see in an electronic store selling flatscreens!

I realized I had 24 hours of transit in Dubai and yes, I needed a place to stay. No way was I going to stay in the airport for 24 hours. Tried the transit hotel and 1 room cost 400usd/night!mad. so I decided to go out of the airport. Found myself a small room in Dream Palace Hotel for about $50usd/night, just 15 mins drive from the airport. Paid for it at the airport hotel booking booth and made my way out.

OUTSIDE DUBAI AIRPORT

Was greeted with an extremely warm blast of air and dust. Nothing like I had expected. I was indoors for the past 2 days and the minute I got out of the airport, I could hardly breathe. I felt like I was in a sauna, hot and “steamy” ( dusty in Dubai). Quickly got into the taxi and arrived at my hotel. Dubai was really hot, it was summer and temperatures were reported to be almost 40 degrees Celsius in mid day!!!!worse than Singapore! its not humid, but rather, HOT AND DRY. The cars in Dubai were all covered with a thick layer of brownish dust, I guess it doesn’t pay to clean your cars in a desert land. Haha.

Stayed in a hotel for the first time ALONE, bought snacks from the supermarket for dinner as I didn’t want to spend too much money in Dubai. My money is reserved for Rocklands!

Boarded the plane to Cape Town the next day.FINALLY.

Cape Town

Arrived late afternoon, excitedly waited for Jay, Wei da and Peter to pick me up. Got into the car and off I went to our camp site in Rocklands! More updates on Rocklands coming up soon. i need a break from typing=p

No comments: